An emergency dentist is a dentist who is on duty for emergency situations. These dentists are equipped to deal with any type of dental emergency and provide relief to their patients. When you are in pain and need immediate dental attention, you can visit an emergency dentist.
What Are the Dental Emergencies?
The most common dental emergencies are:
- Damaged or knocked-out tooth
- Bleeding or swollen gums
- Broken or chipped tooth
- Tooth pain while chewing food
- Bruxism, or teeth grinding at night
- A chipped or fractured filling
- Gum injuries such as cuts, swelling, and bleeding.
What Should You Do If You Have a Dental Emergency?
If you have an emergency, try to do the following:
- Consult your dentist immediately.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water to avoid infection.
- Apply cold compresses to the area that hurts to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Use a toothache medicine to alleviate the pain.
- Try to keep your teeth apart to prevent further damage.
- If you lose your tooth, do not touch the area with your hands. Place a clean piece of gauze on the area if there is bleeding.
- If you are unable to reach a dentist, call 911 for immediate help.
What Happens During Your Emergency Appointment?
When you visit our office for an emergency appointment, we will examine your oral cavity and determine the cause of your dental problem. If treatment is required, we will provide it as soon as possible to provide relief from pain and discomfort and also prevent further damage.
We will also provide recommendations regarding your oral health. You can take preventive measures such as flossing regularly, brushing your teeth twice daily, regular dental exams and cleanings and avoiding habits like smoking or chewing tobacco that can adversely affect your oral health and increase the risk of tooth decay or gum diseases.
Please reach out to our dental practice at (630) 364-2554 or schedule an appointment online with Dentist in Naperville IL, so we can guide you further.