Invisalign is a series of clear aligners used to treat malocclusion (teeth misalignment). It is an orthodontic aligner that straightens your teeth in a gradual and non-intrusive manner. It is a virtually invisible and removable clear aligner that helps in improving your smile.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a series of custom-made, transparent plastic aligners which straighten your teeth in stages. The aligner is coated with dental-grade plastic and is flexible. The transparent aligner wouldn’t be visible when you wear them.
Invisalign helps to straighten your teeth and improve the appearance of your smile. It helps in treating mild to severe cases of misalignment and allows more convenient lifestyle choices. It also helps to prevent the teeth from shifting back to their original position after orthodontic treatment. As a disclaimer, Dr. Kak is a general dentist with specialized training in Orthodontics. She is not a licensed Orthodontist.
The Procedure for Invisalign
The dentist will take a series of digital impressions of your mouth and jaw. These impressions will be used to create a digital model of your smile. They will be sent to the laboratory, where the Invisalign trays are created using 3D printing technology.
Once the aligners are fabricated, you can start wearing them immediately. The dentist would check the fit and instruct you on how to wear them. It is better to wear them for 22 hours every day to see better results.
The dentist would check your progress in every follow-up visit and prescribe a new set of trays once you require it. The entire process may take between six months to two years, depending on your condition. You can eat anything with the Invisalign trays on, but do not make any changes in its fit or adjust it in any way.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign has several benefits over other types of aligners, including:
- Invisalign is transparent and doesn’t interfere with your appearance.
- It is removable, which allows you to eat anything while you wear it without worrying about stains or damage caused by food particles or other items during the treatment period.
- It is easier to clean than traditional braces and doesn’t cause any stains or odor on the teeth or body as they are made up of dental-grade plastic material.
- Invisalign is durable as they are created using high-quality plastic material that doesn’t get damaged even if you bite into something hard during meals or brush your teeth fiercely while eating food items or playing sports.
- Invisalign can be used by teenagers as well as adults, unlike braces which are usually recommended for teenagers.
Please reach out to our dental practice at (630) 364-2554 or schedule an appointment online with Dentist in Naperville IL, so we can guide you further.